Visit us on Facebook!

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Miniature Semi and K.I.T.T.




Thomas Fan, an avid collector of TV and movie memorabilia, currently owns the only miniature semi produced for the series, as well as one of the many miniature K.I.T.T.'s. These pieces were both built by Jack Sessums. The semi only made two appearances - in "K.I.T.T. vs. K.A.R.R." and "Ten Wheel Trouble". In his own words, Thomas describes how he obtained these pieces:

-----------------------------------------------
These pieces were purchased from Sessums before he died, but not from me directly. I never had the pleasure of meeting him. These actually came from Gary Cannavo, who purchased them from Jack Sessums himself. They then were transferred to me. Gary is a much more experienced movie prop collector, who currently owns the original Battlestar Galactica model as well as a lot of the fleet, and many of the Buck Rogers models… and a whole lot more. He told me stories of how he would actually visit Jack, and dig through his workshop to find all of these models that were just sitting in wooden crates. Gary described Jack's pile of “stuff” like a small mountain that he had to climb over. He also mentioned that Jack loved trains, and has this one really amazing train miniature…. Anyways… I digress. Suffice it to say, Gary loved the guy, and it is unfortunate I didn’t come around sooner to meet Jack.

I also have a Airwolf studio model that was made by Sessums in my collection. It’s, thus far, the only one that I have seen that has the side guns and rocket pod underneath. However, I’m sure the hero “pole flyer” which is owned by someone else has them as well.

Despite not having met Jack in person, that still didn’t negate my love for KR. I grew up with it, I’m still obsessed with it, and probably always will be.

No restoration has been done on the Semi or K.I.T.T. I wanted to keep them as original as possible. I think that the original dirt from "Ten Wheel Trouble" is still on the wheels. It’s kind of a dusty mud which is consistent with the scene. I even kept the white scratch running down the side of the trailer, (only a few inches long) which I assume came from ramming into that cement truck.
------------------------------
Special thanks to Thomas for providing the back story to these amazing pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment